Friday, March 18, 2016

Daily Life in Ireland

Since being in Ireland, I have established a kind of routine, although it still varies from day to day. For the next 10 days, my classmates and I are scattered throughout Europe enjoying our Spring Break, so my typical "daily life" won't apply for now.

Normally we have class from 10AM-2PM on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Monday we study Irish culture and language, Tuesdays we study Irish Literature, and Wednesdays we study Irish History. Normally we meet again Wednesday evening for our Special Topics or our "Blogging" class. So normally Monday through Wednesday, I wake up anywhere from 7:00AM -9:30AM, depending on how much reading I need to do before class and whether or not I care how I look that day. I then usually bring a small breakfast to class, where I spend the next four hours with periodic breaks. Afterward, depending on the weather, I will often go to Spiddal, and if it is really nice, my classmates and I will even play outside or go hang out by the ocean. Being in Ireland has definitely taught me to appreciate sunny days.
Enjoying the ocean on a beautiful day
In the evenings we typically cook dinner as a cabin (although we don't every night, depending on everyone's schedules) and working on school work. Although, to be honest, I often find myself playing cards or a game of pool with Michael, or bonding with my classmates, or even Netflixing to procrastinate doing homework. I guess even in Ireland, some things don't change. 
Boys cuddling on the couch to watch Netflix
Thursday-Sunday we usually have off to travel and explore Ireland and the rest of Europe on our own, although once we get back from Spring Break, that will change as the rest of our weekends are booked with class field trips around Ireland. For one of our weekend trips, a group of us visited Rome, as seen in the pictures below.

Sometimes things such as visiting a secondary school and talking to transitionary-year (sophomore level) students, or having a class debate in the Ruby Room of the King's Head Pub in Galway will give us a nice break from our typical routines, but still allow us to learn and appreciate our time here. Going back the the States will probably not be an easy transition, after enjoying my semester and the daily life here in Ireland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment